As they say: better late than never… So here the blog entry from last night comes …
What a great way to start the tour – Michael “mountain jersey” Mørkøv rockin’ the show !
So what to do as the chef, when a riders does something spectacular – Well I know… CAKE!!!
So we put together a little delicious mountain jersey dessert for Michael.
And here comes the recipe:
Mørkøv mountain jersey cakes. (makes 9 or more if you make them smaller :))
250 g egg white
150 g fine sugar (only for very special occasions, will i use sugar!)
250 g almond flour
1 tbls. bitter cocoa powder
3 dl whipping cream
10 small round strawberries
- preheat oven to 175*c
- whisk egg whites light and fluffy on medium speed in a mixer, add the sugar little by little whilst whisking. When the egg white is smooth and the sugar crystals have dissolved, turn the bowl up side down to see if the meringue sticks to the bowl – if it does – its done ! Or else whisk some more…
- Fold in the almond flour with a rubber spatula , then sift cocoa powder into the mixture and fold that in.
- Fill the mass into a piping bag and pipe out 9 spirals approx 1,5 cm thick – on a sheet of greased baking paper.
- bake for 15 minutes until set, yet soft in the center. – cool down.
- whisk the cream until smooth and velvety
- wash then slice strawberries into nice little round circles.
- assemble cakes like the picture and enjoy with a stage of the Tour de France
The dinner for the boys the same night was:
- Plated starter – poached egg, pickled white asparagus, tarragon and caper vinaigrette
- Frikadeller (danish meatballs)
- chicken in coconut, ginger and lime with shitake mushrooms
- Sauteed green cabbage, cranberiies, fennel and fresh radishes
- Wild rice, whole grain pasta and tomato sauce
- Fresh fruit and sourdough spelt bread.
- Moutain jersey cakes
Until next time – Enjoy your own mountain jersey cake – let me know how they turned out :)